2016 Debut Author Retreat
Location: Gatlinburg, TN
Dates: November 16 - 19, 2016
This retreat is open to all recent debut YA/MG authors (2015, 2016, 2017). The debut year is a very strange creature and enjoying the highs, navigating the lows, and maintaining a sense of balance through it all can be a struggle. This retreat is an opportunity for debuts to come together and network, compare notes, and just relax in the glory of each others presence.
The format of the retreat is very relaxed. During the day there will be portions of the house reserved for working which means they are designated and fiercely guarded quiet zones. There will also be spaces available for networking or general noisiness.
All meals will be group meals. We ask that you assist in meal prep or kitchen clean-up once during the retreat. Upon arrival everyone will be given one kitchen shift for a pre-determined day and time. All shifts are teams, so you'll never be on your own!
After dinner we break into groups for evening discussion. These discussions are lead by a few veteran authors and are a chance to focus on how we think about our careers as writers. Once those discussions are over, the rest of the night is for fun -- dancing, hot tubbing, and even some crafting has been known to occur.
There are four options for lodging:
- 6 bunk: bunked Queen beds + King bed in which each bed sleeps two people
- Triple bunk: bunked Queen beds + King bed in which each bed sleeps one person
- Double occupancy King bed rooms: A single King bed which sleeps two people
- Single occupancy King bed rooms: A single King bed which sleeps one person
Each bedroom has a private bathroom shared by all occupants of that room. These rooms are spacious and comfortable with balconies exiting onto a deck with views of the Smoky Mountains.
Rate includes 3 nights lodging, all food and drink, administration fees.
Final payment due by September 16, 2016
- 6 bunk: $350 shared room/bed and bath ($150 nonrefundable deposit)
- Triple bunk: $500 shared room and bath ($200 nonrefundable deposit)
- Double occupancy King bed rooms: $550 shared room/bed and bath ($250 nonrefundable deposit)
- Single occupancy King bed rooms: $750 private room ($300 nonrefundable deposit)
The Debut Author Retreat is an opportunity for Young Adult and Middle Grade authors to connect in a space free from distractions. To protect this space, we require that participants be:
- publishing a debut Young Adult or Middle Grade novel in 2014, 2015, 2016, or 2017
- and 18 years of age or older.
Payment in full is due 60 days before the start of the event and covers all lodging, food, and incidentals for the duration of the event.
Participants are responsible for their own travel to and from the retreat house.
Arrivial & Departure Times
- Plan your arrival for after 5pm on Wednesday, Nov. 16th.
- Plan to vacate the house by 10am on Saturday, Nov. 19th.
The closest big airport is Knoxville, approximately 1 hour from the retreat house. We recommend booking your departing flight no earlier than noon on the 19th.
A shared Google Drive will be created to help participants coordinate shared rides to/from the airport.
Cancellations must be made 60 days prior to the event. For cancellations more than 60 days prior to the event efforts will be made to fill the spot. If the spot is filled a $50.00 administration fee will be deducted from the refunded amount. Cancellations less than 60 days prior to the event may forfeit 100% of funds.
WHAT SHOULD I PACK?
Comfortable clothes and your laptop! The Debut Retreat is a relaxed atmosphere event and while there may be pictures, the intention is for you to write as much as you want, relax as much as you want, and socialize as much as you want.
- coffee & tea
- sandwich fixings: bread, cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, condiments, peanut butter & jelly
- salad fixings: greens and dressing
- spaghetti, salad, garlic bread
- fajitas, refried beans, guacamole
- brats/ burgers/ veggie burgers, broccoli salad, chips
- sliced veggies and hummus
- cheese platter
- assorted fruits
There will be a selection of non-alcholic beverages (tea, milk, juice) and alcoholic beverages (wine and beer). If you want something specific you are welcome to bring your own beverages.